firegif

Thread: Mossberg Shockwave

Default Mossberg Shockwave

This could be the perfect car/truck gun. It has a 14" barrel, and it's legal without any special paperwork. MSRP is around $450. There is an adapter available to make it work with Aguila mini-shells. I will buy the first one that I see that isn't priced over MSRP.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez View Post
    This could be the perfect car/truck gun. It has a 14" barrel, and it's legal without any special paperwork. MSRP is around $450. There is an adapter available to make it work with Aguila mini-shells. I will buy the first one that I see that isn't priced over MSRP.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

It really looks like a great gun. Mossberg makes great shotguns at a far lower price than Remington, Benelli, or Winchester. Still, I heard that those mini shot shells work best in a Winchester shotgun. I dunno?

We always called guns with little or no stocks "cruisers" (I don't know if that was to match a brand name, or if that was just a term for a short stocked shotgun?).

In Florida (I can't speak for other states), as long as the shotgun barrel itself is at least 18", it's legal and not considered an unlawful "short barrel rifle or shotgun".

Normally, a shotgun with a barrel less than 18" falls into the category of "any other weapon" under federal law, and a $5 transfer tax must be paid and various hoops must be jumped through to legally own it. Some states don't allow the possession of AOWs.

This has a barrel only 14" long, but because the gun meets a certain minimum length and has never had a buttstock attached, it is classified as a 'firearm' under federal law, and can be purchased with no special federal paperwork (State laws may vary). Remington makes a very similar model that costs a lot more.

It would be highly illegal to attach a buttstock to one of these or to make a clone by taking an existing shotgun and shortening the barrel under 18" and attaching a pistol grip. It makes no sense, but that's the law.

Eta - I remember we talked about the mini shells a while back. I finally got a hold of some, and they work very well in my Winchester Defender. I keep it loaded up with 7/8 ounce slugs. They kick a lot less than regular slugs but have more than enough power to get the job done.
    Last edited by DirtySanchez; 01-26-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: the spell check on my tablet fucked me in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez View Post

Eta - I remember we talked about the mini shells a while back. I finally got a hold of some, and they work very well in my Winchester Defender. I keep it loaded up with 7/8 once slugs. They kick a lot less than regular slugs but have more than enough power to get the job done.
    I have a Winchester Defender also (I never knew you had one?). I still haven't (obviously) tried using those Aguila mini shot shells. I have gift cards from Bass Pro, yet they don't sell them (yet). I'm so glad that you tried them. I was not expecting that they would give as big a kick, but it was great hearing from you that they "get the job done". I promise (to myself) that I will indeed get those mini shot shells, but it's looking as if Bass Pro will never have them in their store, so I might have to go on-line and buy them (and you already know what a cheapskate I am ). Those mini shot shells make total sense to have and own (more firepower).

I have the Defender Combo. It comes with an 18" riot barrel and a much longer vent rib barrel. The downside is that the magazine tube is shorter than on the regular Defender, so I really appreciate the extra capacity that the mini shells give me. You never know when a herd of zombies will come by your house.

I suppose I could get a magazine extension, but they want a ridiculous amount of money for them, and I have some tendencies too.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledBySig View Post
    Thanks for the link. I really want one. It's completely ridiculous that you can't legally do the very simple modifications yourself, but I don't want to be a guest in Club Fed, so I'll wait.

It looks like Remington has jumped onto the bandwagon. I think I like the Mossy better. That Magpul fore-end on the Remington is ugly as sin, and I think the strap on the Mossy's fore-end is probably pretty useful.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...el-870-tac-14/