Wake Up
Page 1 of 102 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default What are you reading?

The Saints, a history of the Rhodesian Light Infantry. Here's the tribute by Ian Smith. I hope you ingrates realize I typed all this crap out by hand.

"Many years ago, before we declared UDI, Ron Reid-Daly invited me to the Sergeants' Mess at Cranborne. It was a difficult time for me as I weighed up our options in the face of British intransigence and I had to consider the positions of personnel in both the civilian and military leadership, some of whom were divided in their loyalties. In the course of a few beers in the company of those good men I knew we could take on the world. I left with my spirits high. I was not wrong. The conventional wisdom was we would capitulate within weeks but we shocked the world. There is no record in recent history of a country so small defying such adversity with means so meagre. From the beginning of hostilities to the end the panache and fighting spirit of the Rhodesians was epitomized by the officers and men of the RLI who fought throughout with courage, fortitude and reckless disregard for their own welfare.
    History will also show that the battle for Rhodesia was not a war against a "liberation army" but against terrorists who threatened a bastion of Christian civilization in a lonely African outpost. Because our erstwhile allies in the West believed the communist propaganda that this was a racial conflict, they were happy to sanction the onslaught and watch us fight alone.
    Today the terror scourge is a problem that transfixes the same powers that have looked on with forlorn indifference as Robert Mugabe has ravaged our country. They now are forced to confront the same evil in a different guise and they are heavily exercised by the challenge. For some of the answers to the problems that lie ahead they need only look at the history of the RLI. There they will find many of the solutions they seek but they will also discover to their chagrin that they have an extraordinarily difficult act to follow.
    May God bless the men who served with this excellent regiment that filled Rhodesians with pride, and keep safe those who died in the defence of our
    country.

Ian Douglas Smith
    Cape Town
    February 2007

Breckinridge Elkins Guest

How was the book?

What I'm reading:

Sam Houston, by James L. Haley

Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy

I haven't read very much in the last couple of years. The last book I picked up was Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything.

O'Zebedee the First Guest

Lush Life - a Biography of Billy Strayhorn.

Default The Practical Navigator by Bowditch

The Practical Navigator by Bowditch

http://www.irbs.com/bowditch/

Quote Originally Posted by Breckinridge Elkins View Post
    How was the book?
    I just got it. I'll get started on it this weekend. Those Rhodies were fucking crazy. It's amazing the shit they got away with fighting niggers. At Chimoio, they dropped about 180 paras from the SAS and the RLI on a camp containing 4000 terrs. They didn't put stop groups on the most likely exfil routes because the nogs just started running in whatever direction they happened to be facing when they panicked. Instead they threw a loose cordon around the camp and swept through. That's right 180 crazy white men attacked a camp full of 4000 nog terrorists.

That is great material for a movie, but the jews will never allow it.

I found a big stack of comic books called "Illustrated Classics" in my mom's basement (true) which are comics about classic books like for instant Moby Dick, Oliver Twist and Les Miserables (and all those other books you should read, but never do).

Angelo M. Codevilla. Between The Alps and a Hard Place: Switzerland in World War II and the Rewriting of History

Covers the Swiss during the wars years; also, and more importantly, it goes into detail on the Bronfman/World Jewish Congress multi-billion dollar shakedown of the Swiss during the late '90s. It's the one book on the subject, amongst a plethora of "da Swiss stole our peoples' fillings from zee Nazis for greed
    " landfiller tracts, that presents a fair look at the matter. His writing is quite clunky and turgid, akin to a mid-shelf college thesis, but it's still quite a worthy read.

George Washington and Benedict Arnold: Two American Patriots.

Old Thunder: A Life of Hilaire Belloc.