PFFP
Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

il ragno is offline Uncle Charlie Wants You Dead

Classics Illustrated....whew. The blandest, most lifeless comics ever, that for good measure turned 3 and 400-page-long timeless masterpieces into 30 or 40 pages of formulaic dreck. Hackwork tossed off by people with neither the knack nor the enthusiasm required for adaptations. I'm actually shocked people still seem to like them.

I understand they were revived a few years ago in a more literate, higher-quality incarnation, and by people committed to doing the job right (or better, at least). Never thumbed through one, but they sure look good.

But the old CIs that Jake refers to? Bleccch. The kind of crap that, if they were the only comics in the barber shop, just made the ordeal of the haircut even worse.

Some of the "new" CIs:

Classics Illustrated were meant for kids. I agree, we all should read the Illias in the original Greek, but life is too short and I was very happy to have books like Oliver Twist and the Prince and the Pauper as comics when I was 8 years old. One thing these comics did was make me wary of being kidnapped, which is a good thing for any kid. At the end of the comic the readers were reminded that they should read the full book.

Krisztian Ungavary. The Siege of Budapest: 100 Days in World War II
    Germany has enough hay for her fork.

von Bismarck

Charles Rogers was born in 1921. He studied nuclear physics at the University of Houston and during the Second World War served with the Organization of Naval Intelligence. After the war he worked as a seismologist with Shell Oil. While a member of the Civil Air Patrol he became a close friend of David Ferrie. In 1956 Rogers joined the Central Intelligence Agency.

An associate of Carlos Marcello, Rogers was accused of being involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The forensic artist, Louis Gibson, claimed that Rogers was "Frenchy", one of the three tramps (along with W and Chauncey Holt) arrested in Dealey Plaza on 22nd November, 1963. After his release Rogers left the country in a CIA plane to South America.

Photograph of the tramps arrested at the Dealey Plaza. It has been argued that
    Rogers is on the left and Charles Harrelson is in the middle of the photograph.

In the 1992 book The Man on the Grassy Knoll, John R. Craig and Philip A. Rogers claimed that Rogers was the Lee Harvey Oswald imposter who traveled to Mexico City the month before the assassination. The authors claim that Rogers and Charles Harrelson, were the two gunman behind the picket fence on the Grassy Knoll.

On 23rd June, 1965, his parents, Fred and Edwina Rogers, were found murdered in Houston, Texas. Officer Charles Bullock later reported:"We opened up the refrigerator and seen nothing but meat stacked in it. My partner standing next to me made the comment that it looked like somebody had butchered a hog. We didn't now it was a body until we got ready to close the refrigerator and we could see the (human) head down in the bottom of the vegetable bin.

Charles Rogers was the chief suspect but he disappeared and has never been seen since. The private detective, John R. Craig, claims that Rogers continued to work for the CIA in South America and was part of the Iran-Contra program. Another report says he was murdered in in Honduras.

In October, 1991, Chauncey Holt confessed to John Craig, Phillip Rogers and Gary Shaw about his role in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Holt's story was undermined in 1992 when the Dallas Police Department revealed that the three tramps were Gus Abrams, John F. Gedney and Harold Doyle. Ray and Mary LaFontaine carried out their own research into this claim. They traced Doyle and Gedley who confirmed they were two of the tramps in the photograph. Gus Abrams was dead but his sister identified him as the third tramp in the photograph.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKrogersC.htm

What a weird case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Retard View Post
    Love and Hate in Jamestown, by David Price
    The Northern Crusades, by Eric Christiansen

Dune / Frank Herbert (almost done, a re-read)

Paved with good intentions : the failure of race relations in contemporary America / Jared Taylor. (this one is friggin' weird, it even has an endorsement from a black talk show host on the dust jacket.)

Books I took out from the library, but for which I have no clue if I'll get to:

Lying about Hitler : history, Holocaust, and the David Irving trial / Richard J. Evans.

The master plan : Himmler's scholars and the Holocaust / Heather Pringle.

Fiasco : the American military adventure in Iraq / Thomas E. Ricks.

Good omens : the nice and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, witch : a novel / Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Edit: And a book I requested via ILL I thought would be a long time coming I'm being told is ready...

Race, evolution, and behavior : a life history perspective / J. Philippe Rushton

This sucks, I see no way I'll get through all of these...probably will put the Pringle and Evans books to the bottom of the pile.

I gave up on the bio of Mark Twain- too boring.

I'm about to start Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army written by a pansy lefty.

Should be interesting.

Breckinridge Elkins Guest

Good omens : the nice and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, witch : a novel / Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Best book ever written.

Breckinridge Elkins Guest

George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots by Lt. General Dave R. Palmer

Caesar Borgia: A study of the Renaissance by John Leslie Garner

The Borgias;: Alexander VI, Caesar, Lucrezia, by Giuseppe Portigliotti

Lee's Liutenants, by Douglas S. Freeman.

Kim by Kipling

Heart of Darkness by Conrad